Wednesday, June 1, 2011

About Should I ship my car from New England to Honolulu

Should I ship my car from New England to Honolulu?
I'm moving to Honolulu for work. My car is a 2003 Pontiac Vibe and I've got about $3000 left to pay on the loan. It' costs about $2000 to ship the car. It's a great car, has about 90,000 miles, reliable (Toyota made the engine), lots of features, and in good shape. Is it worth shipping a car to Honolulu where the traffic is bad, parking is difficult to find, and gas is expensive? I'll probably walk to work and use the bus to get around most of the time. I've been told it's good to have a car to get out of the city. I wouldn't drive it much so gas shouldn't be too expensive, insurance and maintenance should be low. Or should I try to sell it quickly and just made do without it? Rent a car if I ever want to get out of the city? Buy a cheap used car there? Does anyone have solid advice, especially if you've made this move yourself? Thanks for your help!
Honolulu - 2 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
There are lots of people without autos in Honolulu. I got around just fine on a bike and using public transportation for years when I lived there. I don't think it is worth the money to ship that car honestly, but that is just me. Cars are very easy to come by due to the transient nature of people always coming and going. Military barracks usually have soldiers selling their cars too. Gas is expensive, but the tradeoff is less driving.
Answer 2 :
In '05 I paid $1800 to ship two cars from Seattle to Maui. Used Madson and had no issues. Shipping can be worth it since its harder too find reasonably priced used cars. As far as needing a car goes, that would definitely be a judgement call. It would be a necessity for myself. Moving to The Rock from the mainland can be tough psychologically for a while and a car would at least help but then again not having a car would force you to explore other options that you probably wouldn't with a car at first. When I first moved to Hawaii I was without a car for about a year and liked it. Made a lot more friends that way and did a lot more things than I would have otherwise. Another thing to consider. Moving costs you. Period. Don't consider that part too much. I've moved quite a bit and I'd go nuts if I let the $ aspect get to me. Hope that helps a little. I left MA for Maui originally and live in the NW now.
Read more other entries :
About What is there to do in Honolulu with an infa...